Monday, December 20, 2010

Land of 10.000 Lakes...and Kinect

As some of you may know, I was recently in Minnesota celbrating an early Christmas with my wife's family. Considering both my wife and I spend nearly 20 years of our life there, we were anxious to see some of the familiar locations. One of the first places we visited was the Mall of America (MoA) and to my delight (or horror, if you saw the look on my wife's face), there was not only a new Microsoft Store, but an Xbox 360 Kinect kiosk.

I didn't spend enough time with the Kinect to form an overly positive or negative opinion, but I did snap a few pics and videos of what I saw (sorry for the resolution - the Droid X doesn't have the best camera). ENJOY!

Yep, that's me playing table tennis on Kinect Sports. There was a slight delay (milliseconds) between my actions and the actions on screen, however, the experience was pretty awesome.

Some of the Xbox Kinect girls having fun - the booth wasn't very busy.

Microsoft spent a pretty penny to put up all of these signs - at least you can't question their dedication to the device.


One of the Xbox Kinect girls gettin' down - a small crowd was starting together to watch the performance.


This was pretty cool to watch - two employees and two shoppers playing Dance Central. It was amazing how quickly the two shoppers, who were obviously not gamers, were able to pick up and start playing the Kinect. Target marketing at it's finest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Microsoft store was pretty damn impressive. It was bright, had tons of hardware and software, and the staff were very friendly. Notice in the pictures that the Microsoft store is located directly, I mean DIRECTLY, across from the Apple store. Even the employees managed to point out that this was done on purpose. I know that Microsoft is the multi-billion dollar corporation, but it does take some brass balls to compete with Apple's storefront.




-BC-

0 comments:

Post a Comment