Thursday, November 4, 2010

Alan Wake: The Writer - Review


If you haven't played through Alan Wake and The Signal (free DLC), stop reading and go play the damn game.  Seriously.

Alan Wake is one of the most mesmerizing games I've played in recent memory.  The only thing I can compare it to is Eternal Darkness, which by most accounts, is one of the greatest video games ever made.  My jaw was on the ground when I finished my retail copy so naturally I've been anxiously awaiting the next DLC, which hit Xbox Live on Tuesday, October 12th.

If you are hoping The Writer will answer things such as where is Sara, who is Mr. Scratch, what's with the FBI agent, and where is Alan, then you may be disappointed.  But if you're wondering why Alan went bat-shit crazy, then you're in luck!

The Writer starts where The Signal left off - Alan is floating between sanity and insanity and may be teetering over the edge.  The "shine-your-flashlight-at-the-words" mechanic is still strongly at play and feels as fresh as ever.  This feels like the perfect extension (and ending) to Wake.  

[SIDEBAR ON]
Were you disappointed by The Signal?  So was I.  It didn't "feel" like Alan Wake.  Too much focus was placed on combat, it wasn't very creepy, and it didn't really advance the story much.  It felt like The Matrix: Revolutions; kind of confusing, the worst of the series, and probably could have done without.
[SIDEBAR OFF]

There are some huge set pieces that trump anything the retail game and first DLC pack have to offer.  The ferris wheel of death is one of many standout moments that in itself makes the DLC worth the $7 price tag.  There are plenty more "holy shit" moments, but I don't want to spoil it for you.

It took me right around 2 hours to complete, however, I didn't spend much time exploring.  The story was clear and targeted, answered one of the main mysteries, and introduced a few new ones.  Don't take that the wrong way, Alan Wake and The Writer are no Lost.  Everything feels like a perfectly executed plan with an end in mind.

With the underwhelming sales figures of Alan Wake, my only worry is that Remedy won't be given the opportunity to finish what is one of the best video game stories of all time.  If you liked Alan Wake, The Writer is a must have.

I give Alan Wake: The Writer 9 flashlights out of 10.

-BC-

0 comments:

Post a Comment